Wednesday, November 6, 2013

I am dependent on internet.

   My past two weeks have consisted of protests, shut-downs, power outages and no Internet. I had never thought of myself as being one of those "she has to have Internet to survive" type of people. In America, my phone is not attached to the end of my arm and I do not check on things while eating or conversing with people. Here, my phone/Internet has become my coping mechanism. When I get stressed or culturally overwhelmed I check Twitter. Besides giving me an opportunity to do something mindless for a bit I need the Internet to do my research. I had such high expectations for the week that I would meet a certain deadline in my research, but with all the issues I am not likely to meet that deadline.

    I did not realize how unmet expectations can affect me...or any person. Think of the last time you had an expectation, big or small. Did you think a family dinner would be one way? The meeting would go well? You would get to all your errands completed in that one day. BOOM. Life happens and the kids argue during dinner, nobody comes to a consensus during the meeting or Sally forgot to bring the coffee, and due to traffic you only got to half of your errands. How do we cope? I like to think that I am flexible and appreciate the change in direction because it is what God had planned. That I embrace the change. Nope. This week I have cried a lot. All because my small expectation of having Internet was not met for a few days. On Monday we did not have power from 5am until 3pm.
I did not realize that I had even made Internet an expectation.

Science experiment!

   The power is now working and obviously I finally have Internet, but I am still working on having "realistic" expectations-whatever that means. I do not feel that power is too unrealistic, but this is South Asia.


   I will no longer be able to go to the slums or parlor. The current government instability have kept me from going and after looking through my schedule with all the protest days and other plans we felt that the Lord was closing that door. I am okay about it because I did not have a chance to really get to know the people and I was still able to get some research done.

 We made home-made caramel for our Fall festival.

   The parlor is another story. While I was in Dhaka my local partner, Anna, went to the parlor to take the woman who became a Christian to be baptized. When Ruth went to ask for permission to leave the older brother of one of the other women came down the stairs and yelled at Anna. He insulted her faith, her education, and her dignity. Anna did well and got him to cool down after a bit, but he was unrelenting. In order for Ruth to get baptized she has to have his permission. He did not give it. Ruth has an interesting and sad back ground story that I will tell when I get home. Basically, this man has power over her even thought they are not blood or marriage related because of cultural matters.

 I designed a candy scavenger hunt for the kids.

   Anna left the parlor and reassured Ruth that she would return to encourage her. This Sunday Anna and I went back to the parlor and were met with coolness. The women who normally chat excitedly with us ignored us, the little boy that I have bonded with was shooed away from me and Ruth barely spoke to us. Ruth wanted to talk with us, but apparently the brother has them in fear of mingling with us. Praise the Lord that Ruth and Anna have phones and have been communicating that way. Ruth said that she knows that Jesus is with her and that she is a Christian. It was hard for me to leave that place knowing that I may not see them again. I may be able to take my mom when she comes, but nothing will be as it was before. The women, besides Ruth, have been lied to and manipulated. My heart breaks for my friends. I will miss them.


  It is no wonder that when Jesus walked this Earth that he was followed by the oppressed and poor. They see their need for him immediately while the rich and educated do not see their immediate need for a Savior. Jesus came to seek and save the lost and I am getting a clearer picture of what that looks like. Ruth saw her need for Jesus because she has no real home or family. Jesus has now become her home and fellow believers her family.


My main duties here are helping out with school and compiling my research. I still have a bible study with a local that I love and Anna and I go to another parlor. It is crazy to think of how the schedule has changed so much. We are all eager to come home for the holidays. Kathy has started packing and I am almost done Christmas shopping.



No comments:

Post a Comment