Saturday, September 21, 2013

Apparently I walk fast...

   Our family has trekked all over the streets of Bangkok in the past 7 days. I am pretty sure we average AT LEAST a mile a day. I am not complaining because I enjoy walking and I feel that by walking around a place you can truly get to know a place. During these walks it has come to my attention that I am by nature a fast walker. My roommate pointed this fact out to me a few times, but I just thought she was a slow walker and therefore made me seem faster. She would joke that she pitied my future children because I would probably leave them in the store if they could not keep up. I now realize she spoke truth and I pray that my future children will be fast walkers because walking slow does not come naturally to me. I try really hard especially when I am holding Ashlyn's hand, but we always end up a few blocks ahead of the rest of the team. We like to pretend we are on the Amazing Race and have pretty much won every leg of the race.

River taxi.

Low budget security system. If you cannot tell the owners of this property have cemented broken glass bottles to the top of their wall.

   Bangkok is currently in its monsoon season and it rains almost every day. I like that it rains because the weather is cooler, less bugs and the calm mornings. Since we have been at this guest house for so long we have met many families who come and go for just a few days. My favorites have been a couple from the large country of Kazakhstan, the Alma mater of my Aunt, Uncle and cousin and a little boy named Clayton. I have only talked to Clayton once, but what are the chances that I would find a skinny Clayton across the globe? I want to hug him, play Pokemon and jump on trampolines with him. Instead, I send funny cat pictures to my brother Clayton and call it a good day.

Food court selection.

This drink was nasty. It tasted like burnt water mixed with a hint of disgusting tea.
   Today we went to the weekend market and my life has been completed. The one souvenir that I wanted with every fiber of my body was a pair of "Thai pants" that are made of cotton and have elephants on them. I bought seven. Before you judge me be proud of me. I bargained with those those shop people like I could walk away at any minute. I was bad cop and good cop all in one.

 The entrance to the weekend market.


   Actually, I just said I did not have the money they asked for and politely got those pants down to a great price. This action is a big step for me because normally I hate shops like these. The idea of arguing with someone over a price freaks me out. When we went to the Chinese "black market" last year I hid in a corner while my dad did all the talking. However, Rick was not with me and it was time for me to fly out of that nest. I should also note that most of these pants are gifts. I will only keep about three for myself.

Jordan and Ashlyn really wanted to go ice skating so the adults sat in 60 degree temperature for the sake of making children's dreams come true.

   I think I will watch soccer when I come home. I have seen many posters and have caught a few games over here and I like it. Don't worry I will not go crazy I just want a sport to identify with. I also like how all the countries band together over a love for this sport. Except America.

Who knew the nectar of the spirits was actually Red Fanta?

   Kathy and I have a theme that we remind each other of: "be present." So often in our world we as people get caught up in focusing on the next task, what is happening in the social networking world, what is on TV and on future worries that we forget that God has put us wherever we are for a purpose. For example, I absolutely hate it when I am eating a meal with someone and they are on their phone during the course of the meal. A casual check is fine, but we all know those people who their phone is an extension of their hand. Is our real life current relationship not important enough that you could not sacrifice checking stats for 45 min? Be present in the conversation.

 Ashlyn bought this gem and wants to wear it everywhere. She is the cutest.

   I may never be in Bangkok or South Asia ever again so instead of worrying if all my money has come in, how my spending the night with a South Asian couple will go or what is up on Twitter I need to focus on the sights, smells, voices and memories that I am blessed to have here. I also need to be present in my time with Jesus in my room and on the street. I may miss His voice or His direction because I am focused on other things. What a tragedy to miss the voice of my savior because I am too centered on how hot it is or what is for dinner. He will take care of all my needs according to His grace so I need to rest in that fact and intentionally put Him in all areas of my life.

We went to IKEA and this is my new dream room.

No comments:

Post a Comment