Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Boot camp.

   This week has been like SE Asia boot camp for me. Everyday I get up at 6:30am due to my jet lag and go until I crash around 7:30. I have already learned many things about this culture and am starting to get used to the differences. I daily have to ask Kathy and Shannon for help when interacting with the nationals because I am so afraid of messing something up! Everyday this week at 9am I report to the "Stingray Academy" for learning and fun! Kathy has been doing a great job with the kids and they are quite intelligent. I am helping her with English, history and science. I must say, it is my favorite thing so far! I enjoy relearning things with the kids and going over subjects I enjoy!




 The tea here makes everyday a win. No matter what.

   After lunch, we read a half a chapter of Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and I LOVE IT. I know Jordan likes to read, but everyday I secretly hope it is my turn to read. Of course since he is the student he gets first dibs and I act all nonchalant when Kathy and Shannon ask who wants to read, but as soon as Jordan says no I jump on it. Due to my love for these novels Jordan and I have bonded over Middle Earth trivia and knowledge. I knew my middle school obsession would come in handy someday!


   Later on in the afternoon my national friend/translator comes over and we start part two of my day. How do I describe her? She is like a Gerber daisy: strong, cute, little and colorful. When we walk around the town together I look like a tall pasty oaf. She reassures me though: "Sister, you are not fat...just tall." Good to know. The streets here are "cray" and if not for her help I probably would have died by now. I have tried to take my brothers advice about always being aware of "my six" and to know my surroundings but it is hard when I am not supposed to look men in the eye. Most of the people on the streets are men so I ere on the side of caution and look down or at buildings. I will be more careful so that Clayton will be assured of my safety.

I am learning the gospel colors! I hope to earn my bangles soon.

    My friend and I have a few language and cultural differences that get in the way of our bonding. I do not know if it is something just she does or a SE Asian thing, but often when I ask her opinion on something she will shrug one shoulder, look to the side and say "It is no matter." Well alrighty, does that mean she wants to do this thing or not? I am not sure. We also sometimes run out of things to talk about. I cannot use my handy knowledge of pop culture to keep things flowing so we sometimes walk in silence. I like to think it is a comfortable silence.

My home from the window of Shannon and Kathy.

   We have visited the same parlor two days in a row and I feel like the Lord is at work. I have no idea what is being said most of the time, but I feel like some of the women are receptive to what my translator friend and I have shared. The girls that worked here this summer laid the groundwork which enabled us to continue on and work towards having a discipleship time or Bible reading time in the parlor. The women seem to like me. I think they find my butchering of their language hilarious. They like to teach me some words and practice their English. So far I know my colors, family members, and some greetings. My Spanish skills have improved as well due to the fact that my brain compensates for my Asian language ignorance. One of the parlor girls heard me say something in Spanish and thought I was a pro so she got her Spanish speaking husband on the phone. Needless to say after the initial "Hola, como estas?" He saw through my facade.




   I made the parlor women laugh at my comparison of an American smile where we "cheese it up" versus the Asian smile where they do not show teeth. They thought my Asian impression was hysterical. I want to add that my translator friend and I shared the stories of Jesus feeding the 5,000 and creation. We did do work. I am a believer that once people let their guard down they will be more open to the Holy Spirit. What better way to break down walls than by laughter...even if it is at my expense. In the words of my friend, "It is no matter."

The off-duty guard dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment