Saturday, September 7, 2013

The getting here part.

Hello friends!

   I am happy to say that not only have I arrived to SE Asia, but I have internet! Woo hoo! Being off the radar for that many days means that this will be a slightly longer blog than will be usual because I have a lot to catch you guys up on. I promise to include lots of pictures.
 
   My adventure started by saying good-bye to my family. That was extremely difficult and I consoled myself by looking at funny cat photos in my terminal. I slept the whole way to DC and then safely nestled myself into my next terminal. The 13 hour plane ride to Dubai gave me plenty of time to think, lose my mind, become brain dead, and pray. I only slept for about 3 hours and I did not watch any movies. I read an entire book and dreamed up a soap opera involving all the flight attendants. They were all quite attractive and sounded as if they came from all over. We had an Australian man, a Canadian man, a British lady, and some ladies from the middle east to name a few. Emirates, the plane I flew on, knows how to do business. I highly recommend them. The food tasted delicious, the service was kind, and we all got goody bags that included socks, a toothbrush, toothpaste, and those eye cover things.
    

                                                                  Lots of leg room!

    In about the 9th hour I started to get cabin fever and nearly went crazy. I doubted my trip, my plans, and my hopes. I wanted the plane to turn around and take me home. I want you to understand that being a social person the fact that I was alone for about 27 hours barely talking to anyone had me low in spirits, but my God is good and He is faithful. He held my hand and let me talk about my fears and doubts without judgement.

  The airport in Dubai exudes swankiness. The stores served the high class and ranged from Armani to Gucci. They also loved perfume and cologne. A constant mist cloaked the airport and at times I felt like I was in a preppy upper crust boys private middle school locker room.  At this point I changed into my Asia get up and found my terminal. Here I felt like a total outsider because I was a minority for my age, gender, and ethnicity. I also got stared at a lot so I found a quiet little terminal with only a friendly African family and sat there until I boarded my final flight.

   I made a friend on this flight. He lives in New York and is going to back home to Asia to visit his sick mother. He was further proof that God is good. I needed a friend by this point! This plane food was jank nasty. My choices included cottage cheese balls or fish in curry sauce. I ate a Fiber One bar.
I made it through customs, collected my luggage, went to a fancy Pizza Hut and then ended the day at the hotel.

   Shannon and I left the hotel at 5:30 am and drove for about 4.5 hours to get to my home for the next 3 months.

   Joining up at last with the rest of the Ramsey family blessed me and encouraged me. Since I already have a relationship with them I feel as if I slide in with their family quite nicely. I had wonderful talk with Mrs. Kathy, laughed watching them open their "care-suitcase" from Kelli Naugle and a touch of the Cobb family, and enjoyed have a book  discussion with the kids. We will be reading Lord of the Rings for school! Holla!

Rice farm.

   While here I hope to eat at Nandos, drink 7-layer tea, go to a wedding, stop biting my nails and be able to have a small conversation in the native language.
                                                                      My room!

  I also hope to grow in my knowledge and love for scripture and to become a stronger person of prayer.  My curfew is at 6:30 so I will have plenty of time to spend with Jesus and to pray for the people here and the people at home. I want to experience Jesus as I never have before and to abide in Him at a whole new level.

     Ruby the patrol dog. She keeps away danger and scares me slightly. Her home is right outside my window and I fear that someday I will peek outside and she will jump at my face and I will die.

   It is quite easy to get dehydrated here as you are constantly sweating. Therefore, it is so kind of the boys to keep me hydrated and healthy.

Have a wonderful day!
Love,
Melissa

 

1 comment:

  1. So glad the boys are there to keep you company :)
    Love you, Melissa! God is going to do so much through you. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete