Sunday, September 15, 2013

Slums, Nando's and Bangkok

A lot has happened since the list time we chatted. I finally had the opportunity to visit the slums that I will be working in twice a week for the next few months. One slum we need to first figure out how to get in there. There used to be an opening, but it has been sealed with sticks and rope. A murky river runs between us and the slum. When we get back from Bangkok that will be one of my first priorities.


 The other slum is across from a school and I met a couple of the children who inhabit that area. Their giggles and smiles catch fire and they have the most beautiful faces. One of the older girls loved my Henna and wanted to hold my hand the whole time. I really wish I could speak their language better and by better I mean I wish I knew more than colors and "What is your name?" I took a picture of them and then got on the ground and drew a stick figure recreation of that picture to learn their names. I think they enjoyed that.



I guess everyone appreciated some Monday night football!

The night before we left for Bangkok I spent the night with Kathy and Shannon since we planned on leaving at 5:30am. Ashlyn and I had a slumber party! She wants us to have a slumber party in America because she says they are better over there. I think that a slumber party's fun level depends on the people, but being 8 years old she probably knows more than I do. Anyway, we made cookies and chatted. The power kept going off so the whole family had an intimate candlelit dinner of leftovers. Be jealous.
Everyone walks with umbrellas because they bring the temperature down from 90 degrees to 80.

The trip to the capital was a doozy and I started to get delirious from lack of sleep. Random things made me laugh for an inappropriate amount of time. We ate lunch at a Pizza Hut and I took a nap in the afternoon. This all builds up to when Kathy and Shannon acted like Disney and made my dreams come true. Most of you may know that I am a fan of the boy band One Direction. One of the members, Niall Horan, always talks about the restaurant Nando's and how much he loves it. In fact, I think Nando's gave him a lifetime supply of their food due to his constant promotion. When I found out that a Nando's existed in the capital I told Kathy of my secret dream. Let me tell you, that restaurant lived up to all my hopes and expectations. The food had just the right amount of spice, the meat was oh so tender and juicy and the atmosphere felt hip and urban. I may or may not have tweeted at Niall about my experience. I am still waiting for a reply and for us to fall madly in love.


 My fellow Nando's enthusiast. 


On a more serious note, the night in the capital was a tough one. Oppression and darkness are palpable in this area and a mosque is located next to where we stayed. The call to prayers really bother me especially in the night. If I am already asleep then it is no matter, but if I am awake I have a hard time going back to sleep. Maybe a part of it is the fear that I associate with Islam or maybe it is because I know what is truth and it hurts my heart to hear the lie. Either way I slept very little that night. 

I dozed off on the plane and watched the Tina Fey/Paul Rudd movie Admission. The plane landed before I finished so I hope I can watch it again on the way back. Bangkok is quite lovely. The city is clean and well structured with LOTS of trees. I like that fact. The airport exuded swankness and they had a lot of Buddhist murals and statues which were extremely ornate. The guest house we are in is fantastic! I love my room and bathroom. I could live here forever. It is fun to talk to the different families and learn their stories. The best part is that this is the house that my Aunt and Uncle stayed in to have my cousin Josh. I like to think that the places I am going to they went to as well. It gives me a sense of peace and familiarity to share this place with them.

 A shrine in Bangkok.

These wires look like a hot mess and an explosion waiting to happen!

Tomorrow we start up the school week and do a bit of shopping! After the crazy week we had last week I am thankful for this time of rest and recharging. I also like the exploring. I can now proudly say that my Keds have been to Baltimore, Beijing and Bangkok!

 Found these gems in the ladies room of a Bangkok Mexican restaurant.

 You're welcome.






No comments:

Post a Comment